Sunday, February 16, 2014

5th Grade, One Point Perspective

When I saw this project on Pinterest I knew I had to try it! I wish I would of known how long it was going to take my 5th graders to finish or I would have re-thought a lot of it!



Day 1: I found this great video and worksheet that goes with it from this site. It was really easy for my 5th graders to follow and understand and it was easy for me to show them that we weren't closing the shapes like in the video because we wanted the effect like they were exploding from one point. After they finished the worksheet I had them do a rough design for their project.
Day 2: They refined their designs and got them approved before drawing them on a cereal box.
Day 3: I introduced monochromatic with a powerpoint. I started by showing them images of monochromatic without telling them what it was then had they try to guess. Many figured it out and even used the vocabulary of tints and shades when explaining it to me! They chose two different colors to use monochromatically to paint their designs. I demoed creating different tints and shades right on the cereal box in the open space that way they could see the color palette that they used. The only problem that came with the painting is that some students mixed their two colors together making them no longer monochromatic. I think if I did this again I would have them pick one color.
Day 4: Most were still painting but I started the day demoing the collage for the background for those who were going to get to that point this class.  We used magazine for this and the only requirements were that the pieces shouldn't be wider than your thumb and should be the same colors you painted in. I just had them use regular glue and old brushes for the collage. If I do this again I'm thinking mod podge for the collage for slightly better results.
Day 5: Still collaging
Day 6: Finally some were ready to start assembling. The next step was cutting the drawing/painting out of the cereal box and trying to leave it one piece. After cutting it out we re-drew the lines in sharpie. I'm glad we did it in this order because I think if we did sharpie then cutting they would have cut away some of the sharpie. We connected the drawing/painting to the collaged base with wooden beads (I found a bag of a million (exaggeration!) all plain thought they would have a better chance of getting used this way!) I just had them use regular glue to connect the pieces and books to hold them down while drying. Turns out hot glue would of been much better and more efficient after we did a few late finishers this way!!!!

This is what it looks like between....


TWO more classes were needed to finish these up and a few my EA assembled for the kids! EIGHT WEEKS TO FINISH THESE (More for some classes because of snow days/field trips/assemblies!) I think it was worth it  because of how awesome they turned out but I could see the kids getting sick of them by week 5! If I do this again I think we could paint the background abstract with the monochromatics to speed up the process and HOT GLUE!

Kennedy Elementary...









McDill Elementary...









Jefferson Elementary...






No comments:

Post a Comment