Pages

Friday, March 20, 2015

Vertical Snowmen with Kindergarten

This is another repeat winter project from last year that had a few changes... I wanted to teach the same concept of vertical and horizontal to Kindergarten but I didn't feel the need to do the second artwork like I did the first time around. Here is the original project here with a link to the projects inspiration...


I Can statement: I can identify horizontal and vertical directions

Day 1: Started with one of my favorite snowman books Snowmen at Night and then talked about how in a lot of our projects I ask them to put their papers one way or another and how there was very specific words for those directions. After some arm movements, call and response, and silly quizzing with my arms... I showed them the paper that they were going to be using and how it would work perfect vertically for our snowmen. Last year I had some issues with snowmen not taking up the whole paper so we tried something a little different this year by drawing them top down. To my surprise it totally worked! Wahoo! We drew in white crayon then painted with white paint.

Day 2: I was very impressed when many of them remembered the words vertical and horizontal with a little first sound prompting and arm directions from me. Read a new book (new to me!) called All You Need for A Snowman.  SUPER CUTE. Then we flipped through pictures on the computer of a bunch of snowmen and did some compare and contrasting before talking about all the possibilities of things that their snowmen could be wearing. The rest of the time was theirs to add details to their snowmen with oil pastels...


Oh yeah, and check out this E-mail I got from a parent while doing this project--
Hi!  My name is ----------.  My daughter ---- is in Mrs. ------'s kindergarten class at McDill.  I just wanted to tell you that my husband and I were blown away yesterday when he was explaining how to write something to ---- and she said "Oh!  Just do it vertical?"  Ummm......what?????  Did my 5 year old just say and understand the word "vertical?"  When we asked ------ where she learned the word, she said very matter-of-factly "Art."  So, thank you for doing a great job teaching -----.  Art is her favorite class and we are blown away with what she is learning from you.

#WINNING

McDill Elementary.....





Jefferson Elementary....









No comments:

Post a Comment