Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Self Portraits with 1st Grade

Each year I do a self-portrait unit with each grade. For first grade this year we read the book A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon to inspire our portraits.


  Really an awesome book about individuality and being unique, slightly long but totally worth it.


 I found a great online version of the book via StoryLine Online. They have "celebrities" read different children's books and are usually very good quality. They also have a great version of "When Pigasso Met Mootisse". While the video was playing I was sitting up front holding my copy with the pictures showing the whole time.



After drawing their self portrait they had an option of painting and coloring themselves "normal" or with "a case of stripes". We used crayons for the skin sections and watercolors for the rest.


I am always amazed when some of the self-portraits look exactly like them. Future art talents budding through!





No comments:

Post a Comment