Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Kindergarten and Starry Night

Starry Night is probably one of the most recognized works of art in the world. Whenever I read a book to classes that even references the painting, they always know what it is. So no better time than Kindergarten to introduce it! Right!?

Hanging at the public library for YAM!

My inspiration for this project came from Marcia over at Art is Basic. I totally revamped it from her project but hers is where I took off from.... 

Day 1: Van Gogh intro with this awesome video! They LOVED it. Also looked at one of my artist posters with images of his work and a few facts. I love sharing with my students how old he would be if he were alive today. Really puts in into perspective for some of them...and me!


Then... with one of the coolest tools I have ever used to look closer at artworks... GOOGLE ART PROJECT. You can zoom in so close at the real painting they call it gigapixel! I don't think Kindergarteners understand how FREAKING COOL that is. Check it out. NOW. Obviously still doesn't compare to seeing the real thing, as I can say from experience seeing it at the MOMA in New York. But STILL. So, we talked about his paint strokes, showing movement, etc and then I did a demo using construction paper crayons to make the stars and swirls. They got to work and with any extra time they did a coloring sheet of the Starry Night. They thought it was pretty cool!

Day 2: Look at my Van Gogh artist poster again. Then I did a demo of creating the buildings, moon, and talked about where to put the glitter. I loved the way these turned out. Will probably do this again for sure!

Check them out!

Selected for YAM from all my buildings...






 McDill Elementary...






Kennedy Elementary...





Jefferson Elementary...




No comments:

Post a Comment