Pages

Monday, October 20, 2014

Keith Haring Tooling

What a better way to celebrate the first year anniversary of my blog than with one of my favorite projects!


I did this project last year with my 6th graders and did it in conjunction with a 3rd grade Haring project of positive/negative space. You can see more details of the project and the 3rd grade project from this post. I didn't do the 3rd grade project this year because I wanted to switch it up but the 6th graders loved this one too much last year not to do it again!


I can statement: I CAN create a metal tooling artwork inspired by the artist Keith Haring.

Day 1: Haring intro with the best YouTube Keith Haring video EVER. My students thought I was awesome for finding this gem...


Then, a little demo of how to draw the figures and brainstorming/sketching time before they put their final drawings on this sheet..... Its just a 6" x 6" box and directions that the metal gets tapped to for easy transfer....
I leave this project pretty open ended with the only requirement being one "Haring figure" and the option of narrative or design based....

Day 2: Artist poster review of Keith Haring and then a demo of the tooling. If they finished their drawing last time, I already have the metal taped to the back of their drawing. I found this little YouTube video that someone must have made for a school project that shows a great variety of his work and all types. I have to mention that they loved his sculptures. I will have to keep that in mind for future projects.



Day 3: Sharpie! Just a quick set of reminders about how the sharpies like to jump the edges because they are rounded and to get different values of sharpie you need to layer the color. Found one last Haring YouTube video to share as well...I didn't show the whole thing because the quality wasn't that great and some censoring issues so I just played the first 2:50-ish minutes which did the job! It is great to watch the whole thing without students too!



Once again, totally in love with the final product and the process!

Jefferson Elementary...

I really hope I can get a bulletin board for this school! I hate strips! SO BORING.



McDill Elementary...








No comments:

Post a Comment