Pages

Monday, October 23, 2017

Royal Self-Portraits with 1st Grade

This is the 2nd time I've done this project with my Firsts and it is just getting better. Check out the first time I did this project here.
Image result for paper bag princess bookEach day I like to start with a book but wanted to stay away from classic Princess stories and read ones that had a little more empowering messages or were outside the box. The first day of we started with the book The Paper Bag Princess. Then with an awesome activity to kick off this lesson--I put a variety of pictures of royal people real and cartoon on the smartboard and paired off kiddos with dry erase boards. They had to work together to draw or write the details they saw that made the people look royal. I did this same activity last year and it really gets the idea generation going for them when they start to draw. After this activity, they watched my demo of drawing my royal portrait and got busy drawing and outlining in black sharpie.

Image result for princess justina albertinaThe second day we started with the book Princess Justina Albertina. A few had to finish outlining in sharpie and then they spent the rest of the time coloring in crayon.


Related image
The next day we started with the book Princess Smartypants and talked about creating different backgrounds that would work well with the rest of our artworks like colors connected to their clothing or dragons if they made a knight. They used tempera cakes to paint their backgrounds.





Image result for mousterpieceOn the last day we wrapped up the project by doing their first critique. Whenever First through Fourth graders finish a project I have them do a gallery walk, hamburger critique, and fill out a rubric. I read them the book Mousterpiece as an introduction to talking about museums and art galleries and how we act when visiting them.
For our gallery walk we lay the artwork on the tables and walk around looking at everyone's work. I put up this slide and pop in one of their artworks for a little excitement.
Then I pick three kiddos to share their work. They can say anything they want to about it before we do the "Hamburger". Whoever is sharing their work gets to pick three different friends to say the three statements "I Like (something they like about their art), "Maybe you could have (something they would have done different), and another "I like (something they like about their art).
Rubrics for 1st are pretty basic and we do them together the first few times. When they finished rubrics, if they wanted to do glitter, I showed that small group how to draw with glue where they wanted glitter to be.


I am so in love with these! Until next time!



4 comments:


  1. Thank you! This is super helpful and well written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyable article, thanks for sharing
    language-school.sg

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a huge relief reading such a carefully curated piece. With all the stress in the world right now, you definitely need some MEDICAL MARIJUANA in your life.

    In order to do so, you need to know HOW TO ORDER WEED ONLINE​ ​ The world needs all the calm and serenity it could use at this moment in time. I must bookmark this to share with my colleagues. Good job mate. Spread Love every chance you get. PEACE

    ReplyDelete
  4. CSS Founder is a very good and reliable website design company of thousands of people because the result and method of our working is different and better than others.서울i스파
    인천i스파
    세종i스파
    서귀포i스파
    제주i스파
    김포i스파

    ReplyDelete